Transporting Goods on Skids
Skids were used extensively before the creation of the double-faced pallet in the 1930s. A skid is a single-deck loading platform which lacks a bottom deck. As such, it is easy to see that these do not have the same amount of stability as pallets do. This should be taken into consideration when deciding whether to use a skid or a pallet. Packing dense items on small wooden skids is not recommended.
A Few Guidelines for Packing Items on Skids
As with pallets items on skids must be secured so that they will be safe and not move during transport or handling. The wooden skid itself needs to be sturdy and in good enough condition for a forklift to handle it.
- Don’t strap large and heavy machinery to small skids. Small softwood timber skids are not designed to hold these items and can easily collapse. This is a concern from both a damage and safety point of view.
- Secure your items with stretch wrapping which is adequately tensioned to hold the goods in place and is securely wrapped around the skid itself.
- Some items may need to be strapped into place to secure the load before wrapping.
- One layer of stretch wrapping is not enough. Wrap extra layers of stretch wrap around and over the top of the goods.
Poorly Packaged Skids
The repercussions of poorly packaged skids not only involve damage to goods, but can have safety implications as well. Strapping large and heavy machinery items to small skids can present a large problem during handling. Take care to avoid situations described below:
- Steel bar coming loose from a skid and falling from a moving vehicle onto the road: The skid was only stretch wrapped and not able to secure the load. Items like this should be fully crated.
- Many heavy loose metal brackets falling off skid: This cardboard used to contain these was not suitable. These items should have been in a solid wooden crate.
- Top heavy machinery which could easily topple over during handling: Items like this should to be fully crated to ensure safe and proper handling and transport.